Getting a professional skin check
If you are someone who has an increased risk of melanoma, including having had melanoma before, we encourage you to learn to recognise suspicious lesions and discuss skin monitoring with your doctor.
The Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Melanoma in Australia and New Zealand suggest being regularly checked by a clinician with a full body examination, supported by total body photography and dermoscopy as required.
Skin checks can be carried out by:
- GPs who have a special interest in skin cancer and are trained in dermoscopy (the use of a special magnifying instrument called a dermatoscope to examine skin lesions).
- Dermatologists (skin specialists). Your doctor can refer you or you can make an appointment directly.
- Other skin specialists such as Surgeons.
- Various mole or skin check services are available. Many use technologies such as whole body photography, digital dermoscopy and computer-based monitoring to track skin changes over time. We recommend you read skin check service websites or printed information, and don’t be afraid to ask questions about cost and what to expect.
Skin Check Provider List
Listed below are a selection of skin check providers that you can visit.*
*Melanoma New Zealand does not endorse the providers of skin check services listed on our website, including the views they express and the product / services they offer. The views and opinions of those skin check providers may not necessarily reflect those of Melanoma New Zealand.
Northland & Auckland
Dr Maria Reeves
Fiona Larsen Dermatology
Dr Grant Coe
Skin Cancer Clinic
Dr Paul Joblin
Dr Martin Denby
Dr Anthony Tam
Dr David Langford
New Zealand Plastic Surgeons Ltd
Dr Mark JB Gittos FRACS (plast)
The Plastic Surgery Centre
Mr Cary G Mellow
Dr John Chaplin
Moleman - Drury Surgery
Dr Grant Coe
Central North Island
Bay of Plenty
Molemedic & Fraser Clinic
Dr Morne du Plessis
Dr Brian Wills
Mount Medical Centre
Dr Robert Hilligan
Da Vinci Clinic
Adam Bialostocki, Amy Stanway, Brandon Adams
Skinspots Skin Cancer Clinic
Dr Franz Strydom, Dr Phillip Keith Monnington, Dr William Nepia Moss, Mr Michael F Klaassen, Dr Colin Helm, Mrs Carolyn Smith, Mrs Trish Metcalfe
Bay Plastic Surgery
The Chandler Clinic
Dr Tracy Chandler
Other useful links:
- Visit the Skin Cancer College Australasia for more skin check providers in New Zealand.
- Or find a dermatologist through the NZ Dermatological Society.
How about skin check apps?
At Melanoma NZ we support technologies that promote early detection of melanoma.
There are two broad types of skin checks apps and as a consumer you can choose to receive reports on your moles either from a real doctor (“Doctor Report” or “Teledermoscopy” Apps) or from an automated computer-program (“Computer analysed or algorithm” apps).
A limitation of all skin check apps is that you only receive reports on those lesions selected by you.