Links and resources
We’ve gathered some useful links and resources to help you be informed about melanoma.
These are resources which are trusted and reliable.
Information and support in New Zealand
- Glossary of melanoma words (Melanoma Unit) The Melanoma Unit offers investigations and treatments for melanoma patients within New Zealand.
- PINC and STEEL
Helping those affected by cancer through a range of specially designed exercise and physiotherapy programmes
- Look Good Feel Better
A free service for women undergoing treatment for any form of cancer. Free makeover workshops are available to restore appearance confidence during and after treatment.
- Lymphoedema Support
Nationwide group specialising in the treatment of patients with Lymphoedema
- Cancer Society of New Zealand
Cancer Society can help you get to your medical appointments, or provide accommodation if you live far away from hospital.
- DermNet NZ: Facts about the skin from DermNet New Zealand Trust
Online library all about the skin.
- Lymphoedema Support Network
The main support network within New Zealand for people affected by primary and secondary lymphoedema
- SunSmart for facts about being safe in the sun
- Melanoma Support NZ
A private online support group via Facebook
Information about research and clinical trials in New Zealand
- Malaghan Institute of Medical Research
- Research in New Zealand
- Australia and New Zealand Melanoma Trials Group (ANZMTG)
For International information and support
- Melanoma Research Foundation USA
- Melanoma International Foundation USA
- Melanoma Institute Australia
- The Gawler Foundation Australia
- ‘Just Diagnosed’ brochure from the Melanoma Research Foundation USA. A useful resource if you have just been diagnosed with melanoma.
- Sun Protection Alert The Sun Protection Alert tells you the time each day that you need to protect your skin and eyes.
- Uv2Day free smartphone app The app provides forecasts of the UV Index (UVI) throughout the day at the nearest location. The app includes behavioural messages, and is useful for planning activities to optimise sun exposure throughout the year,
- Information about Sunbeds Using a sunbed is never recommended. They are not a safe way to tan or boost your vitamin D. A downloadable sheet of facts about sunbed use from the Ministry of Health.
- 'Understanding Advanced Melanoma' brochure. A guide to stage III and IV melanoma.
Other support and community services
Lifeline offers telephone counselling 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call 0800 543 354 or visit the Lifeline website.
- Financial Support
If you have a health condition or disability there are a number of ways Work and Income NZ may be able to help.
- Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service
If you want to know more about your rights
when using health and disability services.
Things to remember…
- Ask your GP to recommend support services in your area.
- Don't be afraid to ask your specialist or care team questions at appointments and during treatments. The more you know the better.
All websites listed here are not maintained by Melanoma New Zealand. If you come across a link that seems to be broken, please do let us know so that we can keep these resources up to date.